Brake systems work by clamping brake calipers to brake rotors. That's what slows and stops a vehicle's wheels and tires. However, the calipers need brake pads to do it properly. After all, the friction the pads create is what does the slowing and stopping.
Depending on the brand and model you drive, your vehicle should have one of four types.
- Organic brake pads are the commonest. They're ideal for everyday driving, low-priced, reliable, easy on rotors, and they don't make a lot of dust.
- Ceramic brake pads are a little more durable. They're all-weather-friendly, quieter, and their dust won't stick to wheels as easily.
- Metallic/semi-metallic brake pads work even better. They're heat-tolerant, they feel firmer, and they stand up to brake fade.
- Carbon fiber brake pads provide maximum stopping power. They're the highest-strength and they work exceptionally well at very high temperatures.
Most cars and trucks use either the organic or the metallic/semi-metallic kind. However, many sports cars and performance SUVs use carbon fiber or ceramic because they disperse heat better.
So, when do you replace brake pads? Normally, every 40,000 to 50,000 miles. However, it also depends on your driving. The best way to figure it out? Look for symptoms of your brakes going bad. Beyond a brake warning light on the dash, they include damaged pad surfaces and brake whining. Your vehicle may even start to take longer to stop. The worst signs, however, are vibration, which implies rotor warp and irregular pad wear, and grinding, which means real-time rotor damage.
To determine if brake pads are the problem, do an inspection. If you need to buy new ones, get genuine OEM. They're guaranteed compatible with your make and model. Our auto parts store stocks plenty, and you can order them here.
Genuine Mopar Brake Pads for Sale Online -- Shop Now
Just browse our inventory by make, model, and model year. It's the easiest way to find what's compatible with your ride. Buy now, and you can take advantage of two benefits of shopping with us: fast shipping and direct-to-your-door delivery.
- Ram 1500
- 1500 Classic
Transmissions: 4-Spd. Automatic VLP 42RLE Trans.... More Notes
No results found for "brake pads". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!